Friday, September 08, 2006

WE HAVE SUN!

Ok, first to defend myself. I know how to spell stroll. If I actually proof read my drivle I wouldn't provide Beth and Gary the opportunity to attack me in a public forum and I wouldn't be nearly as entertaining. And besides I am too lazy to take the time to reread my work. Ok you two get out your red pencil and start correcting.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program. The Sun. It has appeared. And it looks the same here as anywhere else that I have seen it from. But it has been two weeks since we have seen any.



While the sun was out, Josh and I spent 6 hours outside thawing out trucks that we in hibernation for the winter. They are all light vehicles, Ford pickups and vans. They were parked on the Helicopter pad in Feburary, and they would like the Helo pad back now. This is one of our shop trucks, Rock n Roll. Most trucks and equipment have names. Not always good names, but names. It feels like I am driving #5 again, but with out the cool lights and sirens, but now I have a crane! FYI it was -15F with about a -35F wind chill. Did I mention that I love my ECW.



Here is a photo of some of my handy work...



This is two of the three Pisten Bullies that are currently out at Black Island. It sounds like they will be there for a few more days. It sounds like a very rough place to be. The brown building is the gym, and the green building is the Helicopter maintaence building. If you look in the upper left of the photo, those are the Ford trucks that we warmed up on Tuesday. Oh yes, go back to the last photo and see the yellow contraption on the rear of Rock n Roll? It is a Herman Nelson heater. I will go more in depth about them at a later date, but I have to say they are the greatest thing going down here. Jamie would love them, they are 40 years old, and they keep putting them back together. I hear that a replacement is about $30,000. And did I mention that I now have a friend that is a helicopter mechanic, he is going to show me around the ships when they get down here. Maybe I could be a helicopter mechanic next year. Scary.

And I have to mention that I have taken none of these photos. I have a bunch of photos of my own, but I have found a common directory down here that many people post there photos to. So, if you see a really nice photo on the blog from now on, I likely stole it from someone else.

Here are some shots of the Ice runway progect. They are kinda cool, and I have not made it out on the ice yet. This is the main project underway at this moment.







It is a very impressive project. The size is unimagable. And if anyone ever wanted to know what they plow the roads with in Antarctica, here you go.



Until next time. Stay warm. And remember only a few months until McMurdo will be warmer than Buffalo.
R.J.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dawn & Paul said...

I Have been trying to figure out how to tell you how much fun we are having following your adventures. I keep the group posted as to what you are doing and tell those who do know you, what great folks you are (you can pay me later!). I will enjoy your cold and snow from the banks of the Merced (what water is left!)for three more weeks and then from the balmy Pacific Ocean in San Diego. Greetings from all of us here in Yosemite. Dawn & The Gang

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First correction from your sister: the correct spelling is drivel not drivle. However, you did use the word correctly.

Drivel: Stupid or senseless talk.

I didn't appreciate the Buffalo slam but it unfortunately may be true. In January I'll start taking pictures of Buffalo from the 38th floor of the HSBC Center and we will compare them to the photos of Antarctica. I bet that there will not be a lot of difference.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RJ and Paula-
We love keeping up with your progress even if you cannot spell(RJ, not Paula) and the photos aren't really yours and we can't tell which brother-n-law you are speaking of...so are you really having fun...yet?

I have to agree with Beth I will hard to tell the difference between Buffalo and McMurdo soon. I am not looking forward to my sister complaining about it either!

Should I tell you I just ate another fresh, local peach on my cereal and that your Uncle Curtis is picking more sweet corn for supper? :)

All are well here. The puppy, Deuce, is fitting in well. Spunky has even begun to play with him. He goes to his first match-an informal show-in two weeks. UK even won their football game last night!

More another day. Keep posting, please.
Love,
Aunt Pharphee

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home