Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Act 2, Scene I

Well Act 2 of the three hour tour has started. Act 1 was the month of Yosemite volunteer service. And Act 2 was supposed to be the John Muir Trail. Well since I am typing on the Blog right now and there is no computers on the JMT, this means that we are not on the trail. Instead we will be heading off to Antarctica. As many of you know, we have been attempting to secure jobs in Antarctica for the 2006-2007 summer season. And the summer season at McMurdo starts in mid-October for most of the population. We however will be starting in mid-August. This means two things; first we have next to no time left before we have to leave for the ice, second it will be much colder in McMurdo when we arrive. This is a great relief for me, because I was concerned that it would not be cold enough when I arrived.

Some of the details are as follows:

Job titles: Paula – Lead Scheduler, Vehicle Maintenance Facility
R.J. – Light Vehicle Mechanic, Vehicle Maintenance Facility

Buffalo departure date: Paula - N/A she will be staying in Denver for training and then deploy from Denver.
R.J. - August 20th

Arrival date at McMurdo: Paula - August 20th
R.J. - August 26th

Lowest temperature ever experienced: Paula - 113 below F.
R.J. - ??? Anything below 20 is all the same to me.

So right now I am in South Wales and Paula is in Denver for training. Things will be interesting for the next week or two until we both get to the ice. Until then we'll try to keep everyone updated.

Stay tuned.
R.J.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When this is all over you guys will be able to write a book about your adventures.....I'd read it!! How about bringing me home a baby penguin? It wouldn't take up much room in your luggage.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No postings from South Wales?

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...do you think you could bring me back a penguin? Id appreciate it, thanks. Rachael

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home