Thursday, August 24, 2006

ECW = You want me to wear what???

Will I am sitting in the Antarctic Center and I just went through the CDC to get fitted for my ECW. Can you see a pattern here; ECW = Extreme Cold Weather gear and CDC = Clothing Distribution Center. I have two large bags of ECW. They include but are not limited to a big red parka that makes fire parkas feel light and airy. A full set of Carhart winter gear, Bunny boots, mittens large enough to fit a small African nation in, and lots of long underwear and socks. Oh, and don't forget the Yazoo hat.

I now have the afternoon off and I don't have to report back here until 4AM tomorrow. So I plan to take advantage of the nice 50 degree and sunny weather to go for a long hike around the city of Christchurch. So far a group of six rookies have been hanging out together and we have not gotten lost yet, so I think I will stick with them until I get onto the Ice. And one of them is the Chef, so he is a good one to get to be friends with. And it sounds like Saturdays forecast is good and so we will have a good chance not to have a boomerang flight.

So in 24 hours I should be on the Ice. It is getting close.

Talk to you all from the Ice.
R.J.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, not that 6 months isn't really far away at this point, but I have a proposition to make.... We now have confirmation that toilet water in the southern hemisphere DOES actually swirl the other direction... On your flight home in 6 months, I want you to test out for me exactly what happens when you flush the airplane toilet at the very moment you cross the equator.. I mean, it swirls one way in the northern hemisphere, the opposite in the southern... what the hell does it do when you're at the equator?

Great, now I'll never sleep tonight...

Good luck on the ice and while you shiver your way closer to the pole, the South Wales Fire Company Alcoholic Beverage Consumption Team will be having open try-outs this weekend in the 800 Loop at Letchworth.... Anyone seeking to try-out must BYOB...

GW

11:05 PM  
Blogger R.J. said...

FYI I did look out the plane window the entire trip to look for the dotted line labeled 'Equator' and I never saw it. Sorry Marty, I don't thin it is lit up like you suggested.

3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home