Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Insert Title Here...

Well things are progressing nicely for our next trip to McMurdo. Both Paula and I have made it through our pre-employment testing and we passed with no problems. Paula will be leaving from Denver on Wednesday evening for here trip across the Pacific. Her plans now include a stop in Australia before arriving in New Zealand. And on Sunday, Aug. 20th, after 10 years 4 months and 16 days, she should be returning to Antarctica. One of her favorite places on earth. The coldest, windiest, loneliest, driest, most out there place on earth, but one of her favorites no less.

Let me take you through the trip to the Ice. From my plans at least. I will be leaving Buffalo on Sun. Aug. 20th headed for Denver. Once in Denver I will be in training and orientation for two days. On Tuesday Aug 22nd I will leave from Denver for Christchurch, NZ. I will travel from Denver to Los Angles and then to Auckland, NZ and then finally to Christchurch, NZ. The flights will start on Tuesday @ 5PM and I should finish in NZ @ 5AM on Thursday. This means I will be traveling about 24 hours straight with the longest flight being 12.5 hours long.

Once in Christchurch on Thursday I will check in to a motel and have the day to rest and watch the toilet water circle around backwards. Then on Friday the 25th I will receive my ECW gear and some more orientation (ECW=Extreme Cold Weather). Then finally on Saturday, Aug. 26th I will climb on a military C17 for the five hour flight to McMurdo.

And so you have a question or two about Antarctica? Well I have added a few links at the top right of this blog page. They will take you to info on McMurdo (including the temp. in C. not F.) and info on the US Antarctic Program. These sites should answer allot of questions and give you some interesting stuff if you want to search around them (including a place to buy Antarctica T-shirts Jamie, so don't show this post to Missy). And if you have any questions post them and I will either give you the answer that I know or make something up that sounds like it could be true.

That is all for now. Thanks for reading.
R.J.

P.S. I have no idea how many months and days that it has been since Paula was last on the Ice, but it has been 10 years, and it sounds better giving the exact number of days.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Safe flying... and we'll be looking forward to reading more about your "excellent adventures!"


Jerry and Susan (from Camp Yosemite)

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi RJ and Paula,

Enjoy New Zealand and Antartica. You can see the Southern Cross in the night sky. We miss you two.

Donna

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home