Sunday, August 27, 2006

Well we are both here in Antarctic now! I have a few photos to share from Paula's flight.

Here is everyone dressed up in all of their ECW gear, at 4:30AM waiting for the pre-flight briefing. ECW is allot like Fire Department gear; without the style, breathability, lightness, or comfort. This is until you get to Antarctica, then it is the greatest stuff ever made!


This is a photo of everyone sleeping in the C-17. Actually it is fairly comfortable, and they let you bring on water and liquids. Much nicer than American Airlines.



Here is everyone exiting the C-17 on Pegasus Ice runway. Nothing says welcome to McMurdo like a good 20 mph wind in the face. Actually the weather was fairly nice in this photo for Paula's arrival. Mine was a bit more exciting. We did land with no problem, but there was talk about a boomerang flight at one point.



Here is the crew off loading the C-17. This was the first flight to McMurdo since Feb. 28th of this year, and so it was a big event. They brought everyone's baggage as well as supplies for the base. For example there was 15,000 lbs. of 'freshies' on my flight. (Freshies = fresh vegatables and fruit)



And so today on my first full day on the ice Paula took me for a hike around the station to get me all confused about where I am. Did I mention how much I like ECW gear? I cannot leave the base on foot until I take my Outdoor Safety Lecture. At that point I will be able to hike around on the marked trails here in McMurdo. And I will not be able to go outside of the base for work until I complete the Outdoor Survival class. They should offer that sometime at the end of September. When it starts to warm up. So tomorrow is the start of work for me and then I will wish I was still sitting in a desk in EA with Burf cracking the wip over me.

Until next time.

Oh, wait, I forgot to mention that they had a nice big campfire for all of us rookies last night. It was very enjoyable.



R.J.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just sitting here wondering how Paula ever talked RJ into going to the ice. I can just imagine what your thoughts are now, RJ! Just imagine you could be home in this nice cozy weather in your cute little house; or.......up in the wilderness somewhere camping with the bears. Hmmmmm! Which one would I choose??? At least you've got Paula to keep you warm at night. Good luck you two. And LULU I think of you all the time. You will always bemy "little" girl .

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home