Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Update from the freezer.

Well things are starting to settle in here in McMurdo. I have been to work for three days in a row now. I think it is almost time for a sick day. After a full day of training on Monday, I have actually gotten to work on vehicles for the last two days! So far most of it has been on Ford pickups. I have taken two out of hibernation that were taken out of service over the winter due to lack of parts. Lot of front end work on them. Have you changed a Ford ball joint lately? If you drive a Ford truck you probably need to.



But I have to go a little easy on Ford for the ball joints. When you bolt a pair of these on the frontend it puts a huge load on the suspension and steering system.





And after work tonight we went to a Town Meeting at the dinning hall. They reviewed a few safety items and gave a brief overview of the science that is being conducted during WINFLY. Also some of the important dates for this season. One of the things that came out of this meeting was a review of McMurdo's disaster plan. They handed out forms for people to complete and return if anyone wanted to be a part of the disaster crew and what training and experience they have. We both filled them out, it almost took two pages each to complete; and so I am expecting that they will be contacting us in the near future for training with the EMS crew.

Next we went to the Housing office to pick up my television that I won it the TV lottery. I might let Paula use it with a written request.

And before returning for dinner we took a short walk to the edge of town. Yesterday the winds picked up quickly and it was very misreable. -10 with a 30mph wind is not much fun. But today at -2 and just a breeze felt much better.



This is the view from the end of our dorm. It is looking to the west. If you click on the photo you will get a larger view. This is the bay where the two resupply ships will dock in Jan. Right now they are just starting the Ice runway. You can see the lights out on the ice, those are D8 dozers, monsterous snow blowers and other heavy equipment clearing the runway. This years runway will be 10,000' long and 1,000' wide. I will explain the three runways in one of my posts here.

And I have completed my Outdoor Safety Lecture so we are both allowed to leave the base on posted hiking trails when we have some free time. And so I am praying for good weather on Sunday. Because I am guessing that I am going on a hike on Sunday no mater what. Maybe we will have some good photos after that. And on an interesting note, we are gaining 20 minutes of daylight everyday right now. It is getting much lighter every day.

Talk to you soon.
R.J.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there RJ. Only another 13 months and 3 weeks to go.....


LOL. Keep the photo's coming. Love to read the blog.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home