Saturday, October 14, 2006

I thought it would be at least December!

Before I could trash talk Buffalo about having worse weather than McMurdo.





The headlines are for the views on the West Coast that might now know about Buffalo weather. 22.5" in October??? To give you an idea, today is one of the nicest days that I have seen in McMurdo. The temp has been holding a 2F with no wind at all. The sun is shining and when you are outside you can feel the warmth of the sun on your face.

Actually I was able to get outside to enjoy the sun for most of the day. We had a Pisten Bully blow a hyd. line about 17 miles north of town on the sea ice. So after lunch my boss and I got to go for a 45 minute Pisten Bully ride and then we spent about an hour and a half working on the dead PB and then a 45 minute return trip. A very nice trip with the weather that we are enjoying.

And tomorrow I get to lead my first trip to Cape Evans. We will be taking one Delta and a group of 20. It should be a good trip. I will post more photos tomorrow evening.

Enjoy the weekend everyone, and Beth in the now famous words of Jimmy G. "get a 6 pack and stay home."
R.J.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

R.J. -

You'll be happy to know that I followed Jimmy Griffin's advice.

Yesterday at about 11:30am when I realized that I was going to be unable to get lunch anywhere near the HSBC Center, I headed back home to enjoy the snow day. To my horror, I realized that I was out of beer at the apartment. I stopped at the Washington Market grocery store on my way home. They were officially closed but one of the workers was cleaning snow off the awning and took pity on me when I told him my plight and he let me buy some beer.

Later that evening I was all set to watch the Sabres game and drink my beer when the cable went out! It's still undecided if the home game against the Rangers is on for tonight. If it is and my cable is still out I'm going to the arena to see it live.

You'll also enjoy the fact that the martini bar in my building had "Lake Effect" drink specials last night.

I'll be sending pictures...

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummm you wont believe what numbskull rode his motorcycle into the steel mill and got stranded there by the storm.............

don

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last storm posting...I swear. Yesterday I saw the longest procession of utility trucks (the big ones with the buckets) that I've ever seen in my life and they were all from Ohio!

Let me just say that I certainly cannot complain about losing my cable since I was one of the lucky ones who did not lose power. National Grid is saying that some people may not regain power for another week.

9:54 AM  
Blogger R.J. said...

Don,

Please tell me you have a photo of the Bike in the snow!

9:12 PM  
Blogger R.J. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:12 PM  
Blogger R.J. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:12 PM  
Blogger R.J. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:12 PM  
Blogger R.J. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:12 PM  
Blogger R.J. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry no pics of that, but don't worry, winter isn't here yet, so that leaves me plenty of time to do something that stupid again! I mean, ask Mary, I do something like that about once a week!

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

while you were all without power, stuck drinking warm Coors or getting botulism from bad water we were mowing our lawn and trying to decide what to do with the cliipings

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home