Friday, October 06, 2006

Holy Crap!!!! Penguins!!!!!

Well it is the same Penguin sighting, but I am still excited about it. And Eric liked this title better and so I promised to use it for him. It has been a week now since we saw the penguins and the town is still buzzing about it. It is very rare to see emperors around here and even more rare to see them this time of year. So we were incredibly lucky to see them. I will add more photos of them soon.

And more current events; our first flight arrived without incident on Tuesday afternoon. There was two more flights scheduled for Wed and Thurs. but the weather did not read the schedule. So the next flight just arrived today. And I heard that there will be two more on Sat.



So we received allot of people (about 250), some letter mail, 3 helicopters, and NO FRESHIES! If someone offered me a fresh banana right now for $20 I would take it. However it has only been a month since we had freshies. If I was a winter person and someone offered me a banana for $20 I would take it and then beat them instead of paying for it.



Here is a good photo of them unloading the cargo without freshies.



Here is a Delta driving off to MacTown without freshies. And in all reality, I am not too concerned about freshies at this time. I just like to complain about something and Marty isn't here to complain about, so freshies is a good enough subject.

Today I got out of the shop for the day, and I got to go out of town as well. I worked with Will, the generator mechanic, for the day. They are trying to train me as a backup to him so he can have some help. His job is a seven day a week job, and so when I get up to speed on the generators I will likely volunteer to check on them once in a while on Sundays so Will can have a day off. Basically there are generators at all of the runways providing power for shelters, equipment and anything else. The big one right now is the ice runway. There are two 200kw generators out there. One at the end of the runway providing all of the runway lights and radar, and one in Ice Town that powers all of Ice Town. Which includes the air traffic control tower, and communications center. So that is the exciting runway right now. I spent the day at Willy Field and at Pegasus. These runways are about 8 miles and 18 miles from town respectively. I will explain the runways and how they are built and their differences soon. It is actually very interesting.

Otherwise not much new. My friend John, who was hurt in the Nodwell accident, flew out on Tuesday. And he should be at home in Denver now and hopefully resting comfortably. We will not have any fall colors to watch here. Because it is actually spring here, and because nothing can sustain life on this continent. We have lots of football on TV, which is a good thing. You can't be picky about the games, but at least we get football. We are planning to go to the climbing wall on Sunday. And we teach our first class for the climbing wall next Sunday.

Well that is enough rambling for now. Maybe I'll try to put together a group of interesting sentence over the weekend. Now I am going back to the room to read the Ford Overhaul manual for 4R100 transmissions. I start rebuilding them on Monday.

R.J.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the wonderful information and photo's. I was sorry to hear about your adventures from the happy camper school but glad that everyone is OK. I loved the Penguin photo's and shared them with my friends at work. They loved the too. My one co-worker has hung them up on her wall over her desk.

Oh, one quesiton I had. What is the time difference there and when I see the time on the posts, it is EST or Antartic time. So many questions and so little time. I know I could google the time thing but I figured I might give you something to blog about.

Keep having adventures and be safe. We miss you both :-)

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget football...do you get hockey on TV?

The Sabres have played their first 2 games of the season and won both in overtime shootouts. It's only October and I've already got Stanley Cup fever!

I'm guessing you can't be fussy about what sports you get on TV.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know your ECW keeps you warm,but what do you have to keep your hands warm? In Alaska,I had to use the thin cotton gloves with the rubber coating. We need a mailing address to get you some essentials for down there. Jamie & Missy

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home