Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What to do, What to do.

So think of yourself in one place for two months without TV, without the internet, without a phone, without a shower. Ok scratch that last one. I can’t imagine Gary without a shower for two months. What would you do with your time? What would I do with my time? I am still not even sure and we have been here for almost six weeks. So what have we been doing to pass time? Well think DVD’s and reading. Aside from our work, which we are required to do 25 hours total a week, we are closer to 50 hours a week with two of us. Then there is the daily walk or two. We spend allot of time walking along the bluffs over the ocean. Normally you go to the ocean and you stop, look out for a while, scratch yourself, and then move on. Maybe a picnic or something if you have some time. Well at that point you have a snapshot of the ocean at that point. That is what the ocean looks like to you for all of time. Well, with the time to explore and see the ocean at different times, in different weather, with different light, and with the change of tides we are getting more like the feature length movie of the ocean here. It is amazing the different views to see at the different levels of the tides. Since most of the area around here is bluffs and not beachfront there is allot of rock formations and sea life to observe at low tide. And if you look closely at almost any level you can see an interesting formation in the rocks. There are lots of small blow holes in the bluffs that are cool to see in the waves.

So when we aren’t hiking or exploring, what are we doing. Well in our travels cross country we have stopped at allot of libraries for internet access and most of them have had used books for sale. So I talked Paula into letting me get some good novels to read. Lets all pause while Beth gets up off of the ground… As some of the regular readers will recognize that is sarcasm. Paula would dig through all of the piles of books to get two books for 50 cents while I would stand around and drool or read a car magazine. I believe that her last book that she just finished was 1038 pages long. I noticed that it had 59 chapters and I am quite sure that I have read entire books with fewer pages than that. I have been reading some magazines that I had shipped in to me by various sources (Popular Mechanics, Hot Rod, Car Craft, etc.). As well as I have two books that I have carried to Antarctica and back twice now; both are on vehicle suspension design and both are way above my education level, but I am working my way through them. And while we have this time I deiced that I could work on my education level so I bought a physics text book to read. And since I am living with a math and science brain, we have class every day or two. I am amazed at the amount of math that I have forgotten in the last 20 years, and I am equally amazed at the amount of math stuffed in Paula’s head.

Each day that we go to town to use the web, I download as many Shredd and Ragan shows as I can so I can listen to them and the latest from the Niagara Falls Police Blotter as well as any other interesting things that I can find. I have finished three more FEMA self study courses, I now know what to do with livestock in a disaster. Mmmm, Burgers.

We are currently at the fourth season of Frasier on DVD, as well as the third season of the X-Files, season seven of the Simpsons, season four of Moonlighting, season three of Emergency, and I completed the entire series of the Greatest American Hero (thank Dave). So our television viewing has been varied. We get a local NPR station on the radio which is nice, and there is a local station that only broadcasts SF Giants Baseball and the SF 49ers football games. Even with this much time on my hands I can’t imagine listening to a whole baseball game on the radio. That would be about as interesting as watching house get new carpeting. But the 49ers games a good to listen to. They are about the worst 2-1 team in the NFL. They try to find ways to lose, but when you are playing against Detroit it is hard to do. Detroit still isn’t the same since Wayne Fonts left.

That is all you get for now.

R.J.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

R.J.

I can tell you from recently taking the GMAT that you can indeed forget a lot of math in 20 years. Thankfully UB ignored that part of my score and accepted me anyway. And now for the lecture that you know is coming…I can also tell you from recently taking the GMAT that reading every once in a while does pay off. Honestly, would it hurt you to read a novel? I would love to have the time to be able to read for pleasure.

You can still aggravate me even from 2,000+ miles away.

Your sister

8:58 PM  
Blogger rachaelann said...

hey guys! tim and i are currently watching the x-files too! miss you!

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home