Saturday, October 06, 2007

HOLY CRAP IT'S COLD!!!!

Well of course it is Antarctica, but it was cold even for here today. You can tell that it is early spring and not the middle of summer yet. Since we have been here it has been about 0F to 5F for daytime highs and -10F to -15F at night. And this is with only a light wind most of the time. Well then came this morning. The shower stall at the end of the bathroom had a full inch of ice in the bottom of it instead of the normal slight covering on the edge. And the wind was racing past the windows in the room. Then we went to breakfast. (We, did I mention that Paula has arrived in town?) ((Notice she gets here and the cold weather arrives???)) When I walked to the Galley my first thought was "{insert title of this post here}"
Today's weather data in town was:
High Temp: -3F
Low Temp: -28F
Low Windchill: -66F
Peak Wind Gust: 55mph

And up on top of the hill above McMurdo they recorded a peak wind gust of 106mph!

And for anyone that complains that Windchill is a made up word for TV Meteorologists to scare people; stand out in -28F with 55mph for about a 1/2 nano second and tell me what you think then.
And even with today's weather they still got another C-17 flight in today. So we have another population increase of about 100.
Things are going well, I am in the middle of my second full shift. We are learning on the run here. I have two days experience and I am now answering questions for new people and trying to lead without looking like I have two days experience.
We have lots to fix here this year, both mechanically and procedures but we are starting to look like a good crew and things should work well. We will have 90% of our crew by Wednesday of this week, which will be helpful because then we can start training everyone and running complete shifts. Also on Monday night, my next shift, we will be operating Station 2 overnight for the first time this season. Station 2 is basically a double wide trailer that is located out in Ice Town out on the sea ice. It sleeps six and it is cozy. I am guessing that I will be the Lt. on that assignment.
The only other thing that I have is that by my clock right now Gary and Julie are married. Even thought the actual wedding isn't for several hours it's over and done in my book. Congrats to the two of them. I hope there day goes as well as planned. (Julie, did you ever get the programs???)
Take Care all and I will leave you with some nice photos taken from town last night.
R.J.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have had beautiful weather, broke a record the other day, it
was 86. Gary and Julie's wedding
may be over in your book but it's
not here. I am looking forward to the festivities. Someone has to
represent the Braggs since you
high tailed half way around the
world!

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home