Thursday, October 04, 2007

Welcome Back to the Ice.

Well I have made it and Paula is on her way. I landed on the Ice, litereally, on Tuesday afternoon about 3PM. We were the first flight of the summer season here in McMurdo. Things are just as they were when we left in Feb.

I am currently in the middle of my first 24 hour shift at the Fire Station. Things are very quiet here today and those of us that arrived this week are just trying to get an idea of what we are supposed to be doing. I don't have allot of interesting stories today but I have a few photos this time.



This shot is of my flight landing on the Ice Runway. I stole the photo from my friend Josh's blog. Josh was watching the landing because his father Randy was on the flight with me and 123 other people.



Here is a cool photo of the 2nd flight C-17 taking off of the Ice Runway with Mt. Erbus in the background.







And lastly, guess who is in town already. Well they weren't in town, but just past Cape Evans about 20 miles from town. So if they are that close now, then the ice edge is close and the chances for wildlife this year is good.

So Paula should be landing about 3PM tomorrow. It will be nice to be together again after 10 days apart. And I am actually off of work so I should be able to catch a ride out to the airfield with the FD and see her off of the plane.

Talk to you all soon.
R.J.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian G said...

Were the penguins happy to see you, or were they just kinda blah about the whole thing?

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home