Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Well it is back to work...

Well, after a long delay we are headed back to work. Paula and I will be returning to the Ice for another austral summer season. Actually I leave for Denver in less than 12 hours, and I actually should be packing right now and instead I am providing entertainment for all of you.

The last month or so has been a blur of visiting friends and family in the east. We have spent a few weeks in the state of TN visiting with my parents and going to the night race at Bristol Speedway. We have visited with Tom and Karen a few times now, we got have a few nice dinners with Jamie and Missy. As always it was nice to visit with the Potters; Roy, Jean, and Cheese Wiz. Plus all of the folks back in South Wales.

We also found time to get the canoe out of the barn for the first time in many years, and we spent most of a week in the Adirondacks. Lake Lila, Lows Lake and Round Lake were all on our list of places to see. The weather was perfect and we really enjoyed the area as always. Of course it was nice to canoe instead of backpack, since we could take most anything that we wanted, and we didn't have to carry it all on our backs. Very relaxing. Hear are some trip photos. The bird in the tree is a Bald Eagle, and the bird floating is a Common Loon.






So I am off to Denver on Thursday for two weeks of Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting training followed by two days of general training for the Ice. Paula will catch up with me in Denver and we will leave for New Zealand together on Sept. 29th.
That is all for now. More to follow.
R.J.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brian G said...

“Well, after a long delay we are headed back to work.”

Wha wha what? A delay? Is that what you call all this traipsing around our fair land? No. A delay is when you get stuck in an airport for 2 days. A delay is when your car breaks down 75 kilometers from home. A delay is NOT visiting all sorts of beautiful places and seeing friends and family and other fun stuff like that...Sorry, but jealousy is ugly. Those Adirondack photos pushed me over the top. Safe travels by the way.

11:25 AM  
Blogger R.J. said...

Ah, it is so good to here you in your rare form Brian. That is reason enough for me to continue the blog.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous AB3 said...

It's nice to have you back.

It will also be nice to see the postings from the Antarctic where it will be colder than we are here in western NY.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous B.Marx said...

Hope you guys stay safe out there. And, BTW..Chehck your facebook friend requests! I've been waiting. You can see some fun stuff there. Good Luck on the ice!
B

10:26 PM  
Blogger Otto Ross said...

Hey! Long time no see! I started reading ray jardine's backpacking book and he talked about the golite backpacks which reminded me of you and Paula! I've decided I want to get one and try it out but I couldn't for the life of me remember which one you guys recommended.

Also, a couple weeks ago I saw a documentary about this community of people that work out on the ice. It was by the same guy who did grizzly man, is that the same place you guys are at??

I don't really know how to use blogspot so here is my email: ottor@email.arizona.edu Can't wait to hear from you!

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home